July 18, 2012
“Day One” 2012 ELCA National Youth Gathering
Day One Highlights • 2012 ELCA National Youth Gathering
– Buses loaded on time!! Prayer and blessings offered
– Off we go…like a…
– Stop in Fargo for supper (McDonalds, Wendys, or Subway) and to pick up one more student from Trinity in Bismarck.
– Evening stop for a bedtime snack at a truck stop somewhere in South Dakota.
– Attempt made multiple times with great effort to sleep on the bus. Some succeed. Some do not.
– Breakfast in Columbia, Missouri (McDonald’s).
– Spent the day at Six Flags St. Louis. Feels like temperature average near 100 degrees which allowed for many trips down waterslides and hanging out in the wave pool.
– Batman, The Boss, and Ninja rollercoaster conquered by nearly everyone on the trip.
– Maddy Lund & Mike Jacobson like Iced Animal cookies.
– The St. Louis Arch looks pretty at night.
– Next stop, Swamp Tour in New Orleans, Louisiana!
– Keep Pastor Joel Samuelson from House of Prayer in prayer. He was admitted to a hospital early this morning in St. Louis. He hadn’t been feeling well for a few days and continued to get worse. We offer prayer that he is feeling well and on his way home soon.
Check out a little video highlight of the day by clicking here – http://youtu.be/Vk4QtP4ZSl8
About Bishop Craig Schweitzer
The Rev. Craig Schweitzer, of Bismarck, was elected as bishop of the Western North Dakota Synod on July 17, 2020, in the first-ever digital Synod Assembly. A historic event, Schweitzer is the first bishop in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) to be elected in an online assembly.
Bishop Craig Schweitzer began serving the Western North Dakota Synod-ELCA on September 1, 2020. He has always seen himself as an easy-going person who seeks to daily discover anew how God is present in his life and the world in which he lives and serves.
Prior to service in the Office of Bishop of the Western North Dakota Synod, Bishop Craig served at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Bismarck, ND as Music and Worship Minister (lay staff from 2002-2010), Associate Pastor (2010-2014), and Senior Pastor (2014-2020). Beyond his service in the church, he has an eclectic background that is a diverse collection of musical, educational, and business experiences ranging from live concert production and promotion to recording studios and live performance to music education.
Throughout all of his professional and personal experiences, the Apostle Paul’s words to the church in Rome have been a guiding light that has kept him grounded in whatever work God was calling him into – “Welcome one another, therefore, just as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.” (Romans 15:7)
Bishop Craig is a graduate of the University of Mary in Bismarck with a Bachelor of Science degree in Music Education and a Master of Science in Strategic Leadership. He also holds a certificate degree in Theological Education for Emerging Ministries (TEEM) from Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary in Berkeley, CA. He was ordained as a Minister of Word and Sacrament on September 16, 2010.
Outside of his life as Bishop, Bishop Craig enjoys reading, all music, a little golf, a cold beverage with friends, and intentional times of quiet. And, of course, spending time with his wife Wendy and their adult twin daughters Ilia and Taegan.
View all posts by Bishop Craig Schweitzer
Leave a Reply