July 21, 2012
“Day Five” 2012 ELCA National Youth Gathering
Day Five Highlights – 2012 ELCA National Youth Gathering
– Early morning
– Taylor, Paige, Matt, the Emilies, and Pastor Craig had to be at our worship site by 7:30 a.m. in order to sound check and rehearse quickly before worship. We helped lead worship with Landon and Pastor Jon from Faith and Cory and Nicole from First in Mandan.
– We worshiped with all of the churches from the western North Dakota Synod who are attending the gathering.
– Bishop Mark Narum preached and we celebrated Holy Communion together as brothers and sisters in Christ.
– Spent the remainder of the morning in Bible study and reflection upon the marks or being a disciple – Worship, Prayer, Giving, Encouraging,
– Lunch at the world famous Popeye’s Chicken restaurant.
– Spent the afternoon playing games and taking naps at the hotel due to the incredible rain. Check out today’s video to see what 2 inches of rain an hour looks like in the swamp.
– LutherDome Night Three!
– Nobel Peace Laureate Leymah Gbowee about being called as the change the world needs in order to bring peace.
– The Mass Gatherings each evening are pretty incredible. They have been produced by the same production company and producer that did the halftime show of the 2012 Superbowl. On the Gathering’s website www.elca.org/gathering you can watch many videos from these events, including the speakers that have offered powerful messages of hope and love for all of God’s children.
– Click here for today’s video highlight – http://youtu.be/igVj6f5UrgA
About Bishop Craig Schweitzer
The Rev. Craig Schweitzer, of Bismarck, was elected as bishop of the Western North Dakota Synod on July 17, 2020, in the first-ever digital Synod Assembly. A historic event, Schweitzer is the first bishop in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) to be elected in an online assembly.
Bishop Craig Schweitzer began serving the Western North Dakota Synod-ELCA on September 1, 2020. He has always seen himself as an easy-going person who seeks to daily discover anew how God is present in his life and the world in which he lives and serves.
Prior to service in the Office of Bishop of the Western North Dakota Synod, Bishop Craig served at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Bismarck, ND as Music and Worship Minister (lay staff from 2002-2010), Associate Pastor (2010-2014), and Senior Pastor (2014-2020). Beyond his service in the church, he has an eclectic background that is a diverse collection of musical, educational, and business experiences ranging from live concert production and promotion to recording studios and live performance to music education.
Throughout all of his professional and personal experiences, the Apostle Paul’s words to the church in Rome have been a guiding light that has kept him grounded in whatever work God was calling him into – “Welcome one another, therefore, just as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.” (Romans 15:7)
Bishop Craig is a graduate of the University of Mary in Bismarck with a Bachelor of Science degree in Music Education and a Master of Science in Strategic Leadership. He also holds a certificate degree in Theological Education for Emerging Ministries (TEEM) from Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary in Berkeley, CA. He was ordained as a Minister of Word and Sacrament on September 16, 2010.
Outside of his life as Bishop, Bishop Craig enjoys reading, all music, a little golf, a cold beverage with friends, and intentional times of quiet. And, of course, spending time with his wife Wendy and their adult twin daughters Ilia and Taegan.
View all posts by Bishop Craig Schweitzer
Leave a Reply